Wednesday, April 9, 2008

It’s been one birthday celebration after another here at the Fickel’s. JB celebrated his 8th birthday last Friday and Shannon turned five today. We had an “all boy” day on Saturday for Joel and five of his classmates. The boys started bright and early by going with dad to a local gym to play basketball and football. Then came the pit stop at home to eat pizza and cake, play outside some more, open some presents, play a little Wii of course, and then we all went to a local arcade. (Think ESPN Zone here – not the Galaga and Centipede of yesteryear.) I have to admit, the games were pretty cool – and as my kids will tell you I am not a gamer.

Today was the flipside of that boy day with Shannon celebrating this afternoon with two buddies from her preschool class. We did a low-key afternoon with lunch and then making cup cakes together. Of course, when two or more girls gather . . . there will be dress-up also. Each girl also got to create their own color of frosting and then top the cup cakes with sprinkles. Or pixie dust – whatever you prefer. It was a mess! But an absolute blast. Shannon’s birthday seem to have a “wheel” theme this year with getting a scooter from mom and dad and a bike “tag-along” from Nana and Grandpa. We’ve already initiated the bike with a trip downtown while everyone else is at choir practice. It’s a little chilly outside, but there’s something about a new birthday gift that makes it bearable. (Oh, and don’t worry and don’t call Child Services or anything. Shannon always wears a helmet – we were just posing for a photo op.)

What I lack in cake, cookies, and brownies in my diet because of the gluten, I have made up for ten-fold in frosting just today! The funny thing is – I never used to like frosting. But somehow I couldn’t resist a “green light” sweet especially when the cake batter bowl was staring me down and taunting me. Besides, how else was I supposed to get the frosting off my fingers? You don’t just wash that stuff down the drain!! I’m telling ya – if I ever fall off this Celiac wagon, it won’t be for a beer – it’ll be for cake or cookie batter. Count on it.


One final thing to offer as closure on last week’s post . . . Emma received a 95% on her Spain report! Way to go Emma!!

Other than that, we’re starting to get back into dance and soccer season, rounding out the school year, and kicking up the fertilizer! 42 days left of school for the kids – 50 days left for me! (Yes, you bet I’m counting!)

Now, I better go take some ibuprofen for this massive sugar headache I have. Boy was it worth it though!!

No comments: