Sunday, March 16, 2008


Sweet Hosannas! The sky opened up today for the first time in what seems like forever and we had the warm sun to enjoy all morning. What could be better? One of my favorite hymns on Palm Sunday includes the words "from whom the lips of children made sweet hosannas ring!" And our family enjoyed that - literally - this morning with both Emma and Joel singing in church this morning. It's hard to start the week in anything but a sunny mood after leaving church on Palm Sunday. I hope that all of you enjoyed the same warmth and excitement. Even though it was a crisp 35 degrees outside today, there was no lack of sunshine in our house and hearts today!
Joel is safely home from California and has survived his jet lag. He had a wonderful visit with his family and friends - especially with his mom. It was a breakneck pace of visiting, but the important thing was the precious moments he had with everyone even though it was so short. His reunion with some LHN friends took him to some fun places like Santa Monica and the beaches of Malibu and he had a great time. He didn't take nearly as many photos as his daughter would have - only producing a scant ten or so! But here's two - one of the group, and one of his highlight meal. A banana and cheese sandwich. I know what you're thinking - I think you had to be there. But I value a delicious meal immensely these days - so it warrants a spot here today! :)














Some explanations of the photos in the slide show this week include pics of Emma (and friends) as well as JB (and friends) during their lunch period on Thursday at school. No, the kids don't normally have to eat their lunches on the floor. The kids had "spirit week" at school this week and Thursday was beach party day. So the kids take beach blankets in that day and eat and dance to Beach Boys songs. It was fun to visit with them and see them so excited with their friends.

I also snapped a few photos on my phone from a night we went to have some Chinese food. Notice Shannon's technique with chop sticks. Joel's friend Oliver was with us and very astutely concluded that it's much easier to just stab your chicken right through with the chop stick instead of the goofy Chinese way. I couldn't agree more - and it was a lot of fun watching the kids eat their lo mein.
Joel's dad also came for a visit and there's a photo of JB and him at dinner one night. I don't always have my good camera on me when these opportunities present themselves, which is what makes camera phones SO COOL - but not quite as good in quality. Regardless, it allows us to record things we wouldn't have in the past. And I love that.

The handsome little boy in the slide show is our friend Jake. He joined us for some afternoon ice cream today - remember I told you how "sunny" today felt? It may still be winter out there, but we fought it today. Jake's a blast and the kids had fun goofing off with him and his totally boring parents. ;)
Finally, what would a blog be without a few "Shannon-isms"? Here's a photo of Shannon with snow shovel in tow. The picture doesn't exactly seem all that unusual - but when Joel and I checked on her playing outside we found her shoveling snow off the lawn and onto the sidewalk. When we asked the reason, without looking up from her very busy work, she replied "I'm getting rid of all this snow because I'm ready for spring already!" Hear, hear Shannon! I couldn't agree more.
















The other photo with Shannon is her and I tonight before dinner. Shannon persuaded me to "get beautiful" for dinner. I love a Jane Austen story as much as the next girl, so she didn't have to twist my arm. Getting "dressed for dinner" is just what girls do, right? Add some beads, high heels, boleros and bobbles and we were set! It was such a success, Shannon declared next Sunday it will be the boys' turn. I can hardly wait!!
Even though I was in a perfectly "palmy" mood today complete with fashioning ten or so palms into palm crosses (When did I earn this title? Anyone else want it??) I would be remiss if I neglected to mention the other important event in our day today - particularly the end of the day - and the reason I need to wrap this blog up . . . the NCAA tournament selection-ology. Okay, bracketology. Or, whatever - you know what I mean. Yes, our family will soon be consumed by March Madness. But before I go, I want to wish you all a happy Evacuation Day tomorrow (look it up, you'll impress at the water cooler.) It's way more interesting to those of us who aren't Irish or Catholic or any combination therein.
But if I don't go, Joel won't be able to print the brackets for JB . . . and that just won't be pretty in the morning. Happy birthday to Jake and Seth! And Happy Easter everyone!!!

No comments: